|What's Brown Bag? See here.|
This is one of my posts that has been a long time coming. I started this project months ago, right after the big O was born, and finally finished it about a month ago. And then I was just feeling a little worn out with blogging and never got around to posting it. But I think the pictures have cured here on the computer long enough now and they're ready to be shared with all of you. So, let's get started, shall we?
I found this crib frame sitting next to our dumpster.
I threw away all the extra pieces and just kept the headboard and foot board.
The moment I saw them I instantly had a vision of what they would be.
I had seen a version of what I envisioned once before at a little shop in town.
(Haha! I didn't realize until I found this picture just now that theirs is green too. I hadn't seen it in some time when I got the idea to make one.)
But mine would be different.
Mine would be better.
My sister thought I was crazy.
The color was ugly, of course, and they were covered in dusty spiderwebs, but they have such beautiful lines. Look at those scallops! And I love those pretty little spindles on the headboard.
They were a little beat up. They needed some love.
(But look at the pretty details on those spindles!)
First, I gave them a coat of liquid sandpaper.
I know I have said this before, but I will say it over and over and over again--if you are still scrubbing at things with regular sandpaper, you have got to give this a try. All you have to do is paint on one quick coat and...that's it! You will never want to go back to your regular sandpaper again.
Then they got a coat of primer
Then I taped off the inside.
And meticulously taped off the beautiful scallops.
And covered the middle with newspapers.
And painted them this lovely shade of green...that got a little washed out in this picture.
It's hard to compete with the yellow of those trees.
Did I mention how slowly I worked on this project? I think I started it back in October.
Then I took the newspapers off.
And put new tape around the edges.
And gave the middle sections of the headboard and foot board a coat of chalkboard paint.
I should have given them another coat, but I didn't.
Also, I forgot to mention that all along I was also priming and painting some extra little pieces of wood. I could not for the life of me tell you what size they are or what kind of wood they are. Sorry!
I think, if I recall, I just saw them in the fencing area at Home Depot, thought they would probably work well, and bought four.
You can see them attached to the inside of the headboard and foot board in the picture above.
I needed these little boards because of the little detail ball things that stick up on top. Attaching these boards made it so the hinges could connect correctly. Umm.. so obviously now you know that the next step was to attach these boards. (Thank you Bryan and my step dad for your help with this!)
Then Bryan also screwed on these pretty hinges that I bought at Home Depot.
Then (many moons later) I (finally) primed the chalkboard.
And wiped it off.
And it left a chalk line on my carpet.
Don't worry. It's been so long now that you can't see it anymore.
And taking up a lot of room in the big O's room.
Waiting for her to grow up and learn how to color.
And here's a pretty picture to finish on.