Thursday, February 3, 2011

PJ's for Bolivia and Baby

Notice that bias tape?  :)
Finished these quick little pj's for Olivia yesterday.
Both fabrics are from old bed sheets.  Both are super soft from being previously loved.

Bed clothes from bed sheets.  Something about that just feels really right.

Details on my adaptations HERE.

My instructions for altering the pattern to fit a toddler HERE.

On this particular pair of pants I also did something different on the waistline.
Instead of just threading elastic the whole way around I did 10" of elastic and two 5" pieces of twill tape sewn on to each end of the elastic.

Of course, it wasn't until I had my twill tape and elastic sewn together that I realized I'd have to make some kind of button hole for the drawstring to come out through.  Which is all fine and good except for one thing.  I haven't made a real button hole since my sewing classes in college.  (i.e. I still haven't gone to the trouble to figure out how to do button holes on my own sewing machine.)  Lame, I know, but true.

So, rather than actually figuring it out, I put it off for another day and made this fakey button hole instead.

Before sewing the casing together, I just snipped a little rectangle where I wanted the "button hole" to be and then did a tight zigzag stitch around (and around and around) it until it looked sturdy.

And you know what?  I'm totally satisfied.

Front view
Back view
And, mostly because I really kind of hate the dress I made for Olivia's dolly and I'm tired of looking at it I thought it would be cute, I made up a (sort of) matching set for her baby doll.






I really like the way it turned out.  So much easier on the eyes than my first attempt at dressing Baby.

Although I have two things to say about it:
  1. I solemnly swear to never ever sew baby doll sleeves ever again.  Ever.
  2. The headband is a super cute feature.  But I totally regret making it.  Because all it takes is one slight touch and it falls off of Baby's head and Olivia wants it put back on and I get sick of putting it back on and why did I even make this thing in the first place?  Uhh... it kind of brings on the crazies.
Oh, and in case you're wondering, I totally winged it on the patterns for the baby doll clothes.  And they worked out fine, but they're not super great, so I don't know that it would even be worth it to you for me to try and scan them in.  Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you had your hopes up for that.  Sorry.

Anyway, all in all, two very cute sets of pajamas.
Great fit.  Super comfy.  Made from old sheets.  
Can't beat that.  :)


4 comments:

Jess said...

super cute!! i love the bed clothes from bed sheets comment-I have vintage sheets taking up space in my sewing room-now I know what Sadie's summer PJ's will be made from! and I love the dolly shirt-but totally know what you mean about doll sleeves. and doll headbands. Cute in theory-not so much in practice. lol!

Polly said...

Totally cute, Katie. And so fun that they get to be matchy.

Kathy Haynie said...

Doll sleeves aren't so bad if you sew them in BEFORE you sew the underarm seams. Then you just sew the underarm seams all in one big seam from the waistline up to the sleeve seam, and on down to the bottom of the sleeve. Slick trick.

Nancy said...

These are so sweet! you are just rocking that crossover top pattern!