Actually, at the moment I know several someones.
I haven't yet written the Living With Less post on baby stuff, but I should.
Because there is just so much baby stuff that is trash.
So when I give baby gifts, I try not to give my friends trash.
I try to give them things that will be truly useful.
Here's what I've come up with as of late.
- Cut vinyl in bib shape using pinking shears.
- Sew around the edge.
- Sew on velcro.
- Cut PUL to 20" x 9 1/2" .
- Place zipper face-down on the right side (non-slippery side) of a 9 1/2" edge of the PUL and sew in place.
- Repeat with the other side of the zipper on the remaining short side of PUL.
- Zip zipper closed, leaving 2" to 3" open. Your PUL will now be folded in half.
- With PUL wrong side (slippery side) out, sew a 3/8" seam down the two long sides.
- Open zipper and turn right side out.
Care Instructions: Throw it in with your cloth diapers when you wash them.
and some mini thank you cards
- Cut cardstock into smallish rectangles and fold in half.
- Sew on fun fabric scraps.
- Print "Thank You" with a stamp*.
*Details on the interchangeable stamp I used for this project are in this post.
All of these items are simple and made with fun (and gender neutral) colors.
And, most importantly, they're useful.
The bib because kids need bibs for every meal.
And also because I feel like bibs are one of those baby items that really do wear out over time.
So having a new one for a new baby is always a good idea.
The wet bag because it's so handy for cloth diapering.
Or for dealing with a gross change of baby clothes while you're out and about.
And the Thank You cards because--seriously--you have a lot of people to thank when you have a baby.
People do nice things like bring you meals so you don't have to cook.
And of course you want to say "Thanks for the meal! It was delicious!"
But you have a new baby and you're tired.
So that's really all you want to say.
Which just feels awkward on a regular-sized card.
But it looks so thoughtful on a tiny baby one card.
So there you have it.
Three useful baby gifts.
All handmade. And all for very little cost.