I'm still settling in to this whole being a .com thing. Here are a few pros and cons so far:
- My web address is (considerably) shorter
- And it actually matches the name of my blog
- Having a .com makes me feel cool
- I just like it
- It's actually not much different than being a .blogspot.com
- It costs $10/year
- All of my blog rolls got deleted*
- It totally freaked me out when I couldn't access my blog for 30 minutes or so while things were starting to get switched over
- Google, I love you, but you could do a heck of a lot better job explaining how this whole process is going to work
- I'm still not sure whether I will continue to be able to sign in with my personal e-mail address/account or if I'm going to have to start signing in with my new business e-mail/account
- No idea how to sign back into said business account at the moment since it's @the-red-kitchen.com instead of being @gmail.com
*This, so far, has been the thing that bothers me most. I'm now having to try and remember blogs off the top of my head and go back and find them. Needless to say, there is going to be some unintended pruning of my reading list going on. Boo-hoo.
Despite the obviousness of the lists, I'd still say the pros outweigh the cons. I feel confident that (with help) I'll be able to work through the things that I'm clueless about right now and it'll all be worth it in the end.
And I know I've mentioned it far too much lately, but I really have been working on some redesign work (which will hopefully be up soon) and I think it will have some staying power. Which is a big deal for me.
Also, I have some other bigger, cooler things in the works right now (that are a long time coming, sorry) that have pushed me to be more professional than I've bothered to be up to this point. I'm really working toward creating a brand label for myself instead of just a funky mismatched blog. Hopefully some of these little things will help me as I work toward that goal.
But back to what's important.
What do you think? Does having a .com web address make me look cooler?
Please feel free to leave all "yes" answers in the comments.