Monday, September 17, 2012
My 6 Fitness Rules
Okay, okay, so in the list I made on my iPod I called them fitness "goals." Whatevs. Whatever you want to call them, last night I finally narrowed them down and came up with six that I think will help me keep a well-balanced and healthy (fitness-oriented) life.
Here they are:
1. No treats except on holidays and birthdays.
2. Run, go on a walk, go on the exercise bike, or do the exercise video every day, 7 days a week. 3 of those days need to be the exercise video. (Sundays optional when a quiet walk isn't an option.)
3. Eat a serving of fruits and/or veggies at lunch and dinner.
4. Drink a full glass of water before having a snack. Go for fruits and veggies before other stuff.
5. Eat another serving of fruits and/or veggies before having seconds of a main dish.
6. Start getting ready for bed at 10:30 pm. Get in bed no later than 11:00 pm.
I've put a lot of thought into each of these rules and I have personal reasons for each of them. My intention is for these goals to last me through the beginning of the new year and then reevaluate and see whether I want to keep them as they are or change them at that point.
I know I won't be able to keep all of these rules 100% of the time, but the one I intend to be a sticky sticky stickler about is the no-treats rule. I've learned that I basically have no self-restraint when it comes to the good stuff, so putting a general ban on them is, in many ways, much easier for me than putting amount limits on things.
Also, I just have to say, I'm pretty darn proud of myself for deciding to make and implement these goals at the beginning of the holiday season, rather than at the end. I know it'll be hard to turn down all of the seasonal goodies that pop up over and over and over again throughout the holidays, but I know that if I can just hold strong I'll be able to come out of the holiday season feeling happy and in control, rather than in sugar shock.
So what do you guys think? Good rules? Are they something you could keep up throughout the holiday season?
Anyone out there thinking about making some holiday fitness rules of your own?
Posted by Katie Lewis at 2:09 PM